J & E Cole Pty Ltd (ABN 40 010 944 206) trading as John Cole Toyota (Company, we or us) are aware of the importance of protecting the privacy of individuals who come in contact with us.
We are committed to ensuring the privacy of the personal information we collect in the course of our business. We believe that respect for your privacy forms part of the ongoing trust we wish to develop with you.
We are bound by the 13 Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). The Australian Privacy Principles set out the way in which organisations can collect, use, keep secure and disclose personal, including sensitive, information. The Privacy Act also generally gives individuals the right to know what personal information an organisation holds about them and the right to correct that information if it is wrong. Further information on the Australian Privacy law is available from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
John Cole Toyota respects your right to privacy and is committed to safeguarding the privacy of our customers and website visitors. We adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This policy sets out how we collect and treat your personal information.
‘Personal information’ is information or an opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
We rely on the personal information we hold in conducting our business. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You can help by letting us know about any changes to your personal information, such as your address and phone number.
Collection of personal information
The personal information we may collect and retain varies and is dependent on the nature of our dealings with you. The kinds of personal information can include but is not limited to:
- address (and previous address if relevant)
- postal address
- telephone number
- mobile number
- driver’s licence number and expiry date
- marital status
- number of dependants
- email address
- employment details
- information about your use of our/Toyota’s products or services
- financial information (including assets, liabilities, income and expenditure)
- credit card details
- trading name
- motor vehicle details (including make, model, registration number, VIN, colour, options and accessories provided, trade in details, price paid, odometer readings, vehicle location, vehicle speed, vehicle diagnostic data, finance and insurance details, roadside assistance services and extended warranty details)
- motor vehicle service history
- photographic or video surveillance footage
The above information is collected and recorded about individuals who interact with us such as:
- our customers, potential customers and their representatives
- our suppliers and their representatives
- contractors and their representatives providing goods and services to us
- our employees past and present, including applicants, and
- any other person who comes into contact with us.
In most cases, if we do not collect the information we require, then we may be unable to undertake certain activities, such as providing you, or the organisation with which you are connected, with the requested information, goods and/or services.
Additionally, we may also collect any other information you provide while interacting with us.
How we collect your personal information
Generally, when providing goods and services to our customers or obtaining goods and services from our suppliers or contractors, we collect personal information directly from the individuals where reasonable and practical.
We may collect personal information directly from you when you:
- provide information to us in any way (including by in person, by facsimile, by email, completing a form, disclosing information over the phone (which may be recorded) by providing us a business card or through the forms on our website)
- visit premises from which we operate
- acquire goods from us or use our services
- request information about us, our products or our services
- provide feedback
- take a car for a test drive or use one of our hire or loan cars
- enter a competition, or
- where we are required or authorised by law to do so.
Use of your personal information
John Cole Toyota may use personal information collected from you to provide you with information, updates and our services. We may also make you aware of new and additional products, services and opportunities available to you. We may use your personal information to improve our products and service and better understand your needs.
John Cole Toyota may contact you by a variety of measures including, but not limited to telephone, email, sms or mail.
We are committed to providing quality customer service to our clients and to operate our business within statutory requirements and comply with our legal obligations.
We collect and hold personal information in order to operate our business efficiently as well as to provide and market products and/or services for the benefit of our customers.
We collect, hold and use your personal information:
- to identify you, conduct appropriate checks and communicate with you
- to enable the Company to understand your requirements and provide requested goods and services (including new and used vehicles, parts, accessories and any applicable warranties)
- to consider, process and record the purchase of trade-in vehicles
- to assess any request you make for the supply of goods and services by establishing your financial position and credit status (if relevant)
- to assist you to apply for credit or insurance and deal with insurance and finance issues
- confirm that you are properly licensed for the purposes of taking a test drive or using one of our hire vehicles
- process payment for goods and services (including assisting in applications for credit where relevant)
- to coordinate delivery of vehicles
- to carry out vehicle repairs and servicing, supply parts and accessories, supply products such as lubricants and automotive fluids and maintain any applicable warranties
- to arrange for goods and services to be supplied to you by third parties where appropriate (for example, aftermarket parts suppliers, extended warranty and roadside assistance services and financial and insurance products in respect of vehicles purchased from us; or panel beating services or windscreen replacement in respect of cars we are repairing)
- to collect debts
- to manage, train and develop our employees and representatives
- to set up, administer and manage our products and services
- to conduct competitions
- to administer warranty claims
- to maintain records for accounting and administration purposes
- to administer safety-related product recalls
- to analyse customer needs and develop customer strategies
- to help the Company to manage and enhance the goods and services it purchases from its suppliers
- to develop and inform you about the goods and services that the Company considers may be of interest, unless you advise us not to do so
- to protect you and the Company from fraud
- to assess whether to provide commercial credit to you or accept you as a guarantor of commercial credit provided by us
- for business support purposes including maintenance, backup and audit
- to comply with the Company’s statutory and legal obligations, and
- to respond to any queries or complaints you may have
Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to any of our employees, officers, insurers, professional advisors, agents, suppliers or subcontractors insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy. Personal information is only supplied to a third party when it is required for the delivery of our services.
We may from time to time need to disclose personal information to comply with a legal requirement, such as a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, warrant, in the course of a legal proceeding or in response to a law enforcement agency request.
We may also use your personal information to protect the copyright, trademarks, legal rights, property or safety or John Cole Toyota, www.johncoletoyota.com.au, its customers or third parties.
Information that we collect may from time to time be stores, processed or transferred between parties located in countries outside of Australia.
If there is a change of control in our business or a sale or transfer of business assets, we reserve the right to transfer to the extent permissible at law our user databases, together with any personal information and non-personal information contained in those databases. The information may be disclosed to a potential purchaser under an agreement to maintain confidentiality. We would seek to only disclose information in good faith and where required by any of the above circumstances.
Security of your personal information
John Cole Toyota is committed to ensuring that the information you provide to us is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Access to your personal information
We reserve the right to refuse to provide you with information that we hold about you, in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Act.
When you visit our website johncoletoyota.com.au, we may collect certain information such as browser type, operating system, website visited immediately before coming to our site, etc. This information is used in an aggregated manner to analyses how people use our site, such that we can improve out service.
One Toyota Network
John Cole Toyota is part of the OneToyota network of Toyota organisations in Australia (each a OneToyota organisation), comprising:
- authorised Toyota dealers in Australia;
- Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited;
- Toyota Finance Australia Limited;
- Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Company Australia Pty Ltd trading as Toyota Insurance; and
- Toyota Western Australia (comprising Prestige Motors Pty Ltd as trustee for the Prestige Toyota Unit Trust and Eastpoint Pty Ltd).
John Cole Toyota and other OneToyota organisations collect and share with each other customer and guest information, including data collected from Connected Services, to provide you an integrated OneToyota guest experience, such as allowing you to be known across the network regardless of which OneToyota organisation you deal with and to provide you with products, services, information and assistance, respond to your enquiries and help keep your information up to date. Your information may be disclosed to OneToyota network service providers in Australia and overseas for these purposes.
OneToyota organisations may send you marketing to inform you about products or services, special offers, promotions and events that may be of interest to you. These marketing communications may include joint promotions with promotion partners, and may be sent to you using any contact details provided by you, such as post, phone, email or SMS.
Your consent to receive marketing from a OneToyota organisation will be deemed to be ongoing if you do not opt out when you are offered the opportunity to do so, or unless and until you advise the relevant organisation otherwise.
Guest Satisfaction Surveys and Marketing
From time to time, John Cole Toyota surveys its guests on a range of issues, including new vehicle satisfaction and the quality of our service. These surveys help us to improve our products and services and tailor the way that we do business with you. If you do not wish to participate in these surveys, please let us know (our details are provided at the end of this policy).
Toyota Customer Contact Centre (our details are provided at the end of this policy). Your consent will be deemed if you do not opt out when we offer you the opportunity to do so, and will remain current until you advise us otherwise.
If you do not wish to receive Guest Satisfaction Surveys or other marketing information from Toyota Australia, please contact Toyota Australia directly on 1800 252 0976 (you will still receive safety-related messages).
How do we deal with complaints
It would assist us to respond to your complaint promptly if it is made in writing. Please include as much information as possible in relation to your complaint and to those parties involved in the alleged breach.