All-New Toyota Kluger Coming Soon to John Cole Toyota
April 28, 2021
In addition to offering a hybrid drivetrain for the first time in Kluger in Australia this June, the new model features a stylish family-friendly design, and significantly improved safety and advanced technology giving it a more premium ambience.
Toyota Australia Vice President Sales and Marketing Sean Hanley said the addition of a hybrid option to one of Australia’s favourite family SUVs demonstrated Toyota’s commitment to driving sustainability forward.
“The popularity of SUVs continues to grow, and the new Kluger hybrid models mean that families can have all the space, comfort, refinement and versatility of a large SUV with a low environmental impact,” Mr Hanley said.
“In addition to that, the stylish new look, improved safety and high level of advanced technology makes the Kluger the perfect SUV for the modern family,” he said.
Priced from $47,650, the new Kluger is available in three trim levels – entry-level GX, mid-range GXL and top-of-the-range Grande – with all grades offered in petrol 2WD or AWD versions, and hybrid AWD drivetrains.
Design and Performance
The new Kluger is built on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform and features a 60mm longer wheelbase, 60mm more in overall length and is slightly wider than the current generation, delivering more interior space and improved driving stability. The sculpted exterior aesthetic is enhanced by the slimline LED headlights and taillights while wider flared wheelarches and big 18-inch alloy (GX/GXL) and 20-inch Chromtec®2 (Grande) wheels all give the Kluger an imposing, dynamic and powerful presence.
The new hybrid system combines a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with two front and one rear-mounted motor generators that generate a combined maximum output of 184kW. Combined cycle fuel consumption is a low 5.6l/100km3 with combined CO2 emissions of just 128g/km4.
Driving through an electronic continuously variable transmission (e-CVT), the e-Four AWD system allows up to 100 per cent of drive to be sent through the front wheels or up to 80 per cent through the rear, depending on conditions.
The transmission offers three modes – ECO, NORMAL and SPORT – while hybrid models are also fitted with a Trail mode switch that further improves traction in slippery off-road conditions.
The new 3.5-litre petrol V6 engine generates a maximum power of 218kW and peak torque of 350Nm that is delivered through a new smooth 8-speed automatic transmission with an auto stop start system to improve fuel economy.
Combined cycle fuel consumption for the 2WD versions is 8.7l/100km3 and 8.8-8.9l/100km3 for AWD petrol Kluger variants.
GX and GXL petrol versions use a new Dynamic Torque Control AWD system that allows the rear driveline to be “disconnected” when AWD is not necessary with the front/rear drive torque split between 100:0 and 50:50, depending on conditions.
The Kluger Grande AWD petrol model features a more advanced Torque Vectoring AWD system that not only splits drive torque as needed front to rear – from 100:0 to 50:50 – but adds a pair of couplings on the rear axle to enable independent torque control of the rear left and right wheels.
All AWD petrol models also feature a multi-terrain select system with Rock & Dirt and Mud & Sand modes that automatically adjusts throttle, transmission, steering and brake control to provide the maximum traction and stability in all conditions.
Newly developed multilink front and rear suspension ensures the optimum balance of ride comfort and dynamic handling while superb braking performance – on road and off – comes courtesy of the large 340mm front and 338mm rear ventilated disc brakes.
Safety has been significantly improved with new features for Toyota Safety Sense5 with the addition of road sign assist, emergency steering assist and intersection turn assistance on every model.
This builds upon an already extensive list of driver assistance features that include pre-collision safety system with pedestrian and day cyclist detection, active cruise control, lane trace assist and auto high beam.
Other standard safety features include blind spot monitor with rear-cross traffic alert, reversing camera, seven airbags and front and rear parking sensors.
Design and Technology
Inside, the new Kluger offers a premium atmosphere and larger cabin, particularly for third row passengers – and increased luggage space.
For maximum versatility, the Kluger features sliding and 60/40-split folding second row seats and 60/40-split folding third row seats.
Premium soft touch materials cover the expansive dash with the seats in the entry level GX models finished in a quality cloth trim. Entertainment and information come courtesy of the latest generation multimedia system with controls via the steering wheel or large 8-inch touchscreen display atop the centre console.
The system incorporates AM/FM/DAB+6 radio, Bluetooth®7 connectivity, Apple CarPlay®8 and Android Auto™9 compatibility. Standard equipment includes smart entry and start, manual dual-zone air conditioning, rain sensing wipers and automatic lights, and five USB ports.
GXL models gain power heated front seats, tri-zone climate control, synthetic leather upholstery, power tailgate and satellite navigation10 for the multimedia system.
The top-of-the-range Kluger Grande adds a panoramic roof, hands-free opening for the power tailgate, ventilation for the front seats, head-up display, a panoramic view monitor, leather-accented seats and a premium 11-speaker JBL®2 audio system.
Toyota Kluger Pricing1
GX 2WD petrol $47,650
GXL 2WD petrol $56,850
Grande 2WD petrol $68,900
GX AWD petrol $51,650
GXL AWD petrol $60,850
Grande AWD petrol $72,900
GX AWD hybrid $54,150
GXL AWD hybrid $63,350
Grande AWD hybrid $75,400
Optional paint $675
Rear Entertainment System $1,500 (Grande only)
- Manufacturer’s recommended retail prices provided for media purposes only. Statutory charges or other on-road costs not included. On road costs vary from State to State and can be found by contacting the relevant government authority. Optional colours or features at additional cost
- Product & company names are trademarks of their respective owners.
- Achieved in test conditions for comparison purposes only. Actual fuel consumption varies depending on driving conditions/style, vehicle condition, load and options/accessories fitted. Source: ADR81/02 combined (litres/100km) for auto models.
- Emissions vary depending on driving conditions/style, vehicle condition & options/accessories fitted.
- Driver assist feature. Only operates under certain conditions. Check your Owner’s Manual for explanation of limitations. Please drive safely.
- Coverage dependent on vehicle location.
- Bluetooth® is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. Compatibility and functionality varies depending on device.
- CarPlay® is a trademark of Apple, Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. Requires compatible device, USB connection, mobile data, network reception & GPS signal. Mobile usage at user’s cost. Apps subject to change. For details see toyota.com.au/connected.
- Android Auto™ is a trademark of Google LLC. Requires compatible device, USB connection, mobile data, network reception & GPS signal. Mobile usage at user’s cost. Apps subject to change. For details see toyota.com.au/connected.
- Coverage varies based on vehicle location.
- Weights/mass/volumes/dimensions are approximate and subject to individual vehicle variances, and should be confirmed before fitting any accessories, towing or otherwise relying on this value.